Anzeige

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Hardware Problems

Hardware Problems 02 Sep 2009 01:04 #1

• Michael
I am only just getting back to running my layout via catrain modules after a long layoff. I cannot get my 2 DCM and 2 PWM modules to be recognised by my PC. I keep getting messages t\"failed opening any com port\". Any assistance would be appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Hardware Problems 04 Sep 2009 12:38 #2

• joel
Hello Michael,

I could not see where this message comes from...
What version of CATrain are you using?
On CATrain 2.2.x, when the USB board cannot be accessed because of the lack of an available virtual COMx port, the message should be \"No USB COM responding\" or \"Error opening Port xxx\"...
Maybe that you are still using CATrain 1.x ?
Those old CATrain versions cannot be used on Windows 2000, XP and Vista. On \"new\" PCs the serial ports could not be accessible to 16 bit applications.

Kind regards,

Joel

Re:Hardware Problems 07 Sep 2009 00:22 #3

• Michael
Hello Joel

I have downloaded 2.2.4 and am using this.

I do not have USB connection on my boards. I purchased them from you about 18 months ago. - Michael

Re:Hardware Problems 08 Sep 2009 10:16 #4

• joel
Hello Michael,

Obviously there is a problem, because you absolutely need the USB interface for using CATrain 2.x. Contrarily to CATrain 1.x, where the PC was doing all the job, this is the processor on the USB interface board which controls the modules and collects the feed-back information. Windows XP is too busy with its own complexity to care about user applications which require response time under 10 ms...
BUT, for experimenting CATrain and your two modules, you can still use CATrain 1.82, preferably on a PC running a 16 bit version of Windows (Windows 98, Windows Millennium).
After experimenting, if you consider using CATrain for controlling a larger layout, you can buy a processor and eventually a printed board to build the USB interface.

Kind regards,

Joël

Re:Hardware Problems 08 Sep 2009 10:40 #5

• Michael
Thanks Joel for the information. I will download the earlier version and try agan.
Michael

Re:Hardware Problems 27 Sep 2009 07:51 #6

• Michael
Joel - I have reverted to 1.82.1 but I am still having big problems, I am now getting the error message \"the link cable is not present\". What am I doing wrong?

Re:Hardware Problems 28 Sep 2009 20:47 #7

• joel
Hello Michael,

I cannot tell you more than to verify the wiring of the link cable.
It must be conformant with the schematic diagram shown of page 8 of the \"modul.pdf\" document in CATrain 1.82 package.
Verify the presence of the 3K9 resistor and the 1N4148 diode...
The cable should be found by \"PWMDE3E.EXE\" with or without the modules connected.

I also repeat that CATrain 1.x can only be used on a PC running Windows 98 or Millennium, provided with a genuine RS232 port, not a emulated port accessible through the USB bus. I also advice to use a desktop PC, because some laptop PCs do not provide correct +12/-12V RS232 levels but only +5V/-5V, this is not enough...

Kind regards,

Joel

Re:Hardware Problems 29 Sep 2009 13:45 #8

• François
Hello Michael,

Happy to write you again. As Joël told you, I think you haven\'t put the 1N4148 diode and the 3k9 resistor in the cable, like explained on pages 7 or 8 in modules.pdf. I do not know exactly because I only have the French translation...

But you have to use a PC with Windows 95 or 98, not a PC with XP or Vista. In this case you must drive CATrain with the USB-module.

I think the best way is to buy a diode and a resistor in Australia. If you can\'t, I\'ll send you these components by post.

Best regards,

François

Re:Hardware Problems 30 Sep 2009 05:30 #9

• Michael
Hello Francois
Thank you for your reply. My cable was made correctly as some 12 months or so ago it worked on an old PC that I had at the time. Unfortunately circumstances stopped me continuing to set my layout up with Catrain and I am only just now in a position to have another try. I have been trying to operate with a notebook and XP as the old PC died. I will have to try and obtain another PC with 98 on it and have another go.
Regards - Michael

Re:Hardware Problems 30 Sep 2009 22:07 #10

• Michael
Hello Joel

Just another idea!. Is there anyway I can obtain an adaptor to convert my older modules to USB?
Michael

Re:Hardware Problems 01 Oct 2009 00:07 #11

• Michael
Joel - another question. About 12 month ago I advised you I wiped one of my pics and you sent me via my old email address, a program called I think \"modparam\" so I could reprogram it. Could you send it again to me please to my new email address please? Thank you

Re:Hardware Problems 01 Oct 2009 10:23 #12

• joel
Hello Michael,

\"ModParam\" is used to set the parameters of every module, mainly the address. But it communicates with the modules through the USB board, therefore you cannot use it. But \"PWMDE3E.EXE\", included inside CATrain1.82 package, does just the same through the serial connection. You can use it, but only on a desktop PC running Windows 98 or Millenium.
For programming the processors themselves you need the whole MPLab environment from Microchip and a PIC programmer. But I see no reason why the processor software should be corrupted... You can verify this easily: at power-on the Led must flash approximatively 3 times after the auto-test.
If this is not the case, it is probable that the processor is destroyed...

Joel

Re:Hardware Problems 01 Oct 2009 11:43 #13

• François
Hello Michael,

The modules are the same for CATrain 1.82 usable with Windows 98 and for CATrain 2.4 usable with XP or Vista. But you have to replace your cable by the USB module. It is possible to manage only 5 or 6 modules with the cable and CATrain 1.82. In the future, if you need other modules, you will have to build an amplifier module.

I think it is better to have the USB module. It manages more than 22 modules in the basic version (it is my experience on my layout). And CATrain 2.4 is more efficient than CATrain 1.82.

Best regards,

François

Re:Hardware Problems 02 Oct 2009 05:44 #14

• Michael
Sorry Joel

I now recall you sent me some HEX files to assist with reprogramming the pic by way of a pic programmer
Thank you - Michael
Moderators: joel, daniel, alan, françois

Copyright (c) 2005 - 2015: www.catrain.org by Joël Bouchat & Daniel Merbecks